- | 15 Jan, 2018 | The Cranberries lead singer Dolores O’Riordan dies aged 46
- | 15 Jan, 2018 | Dollar Tumbles As Euro Soars To 3-Year High; US Markets Closed
- | 15 Jan, 2018 | Confirmed: Chelsea Manning Is Running For US Senate In Maryland
- | 15 Jan, 2018 | Senator Rand Paul defends Trump’s “s**thole” comment
- | 15 Jan, 2018 | UK officials call for investigation into European health insurance card program
- | 15 Jan, 2018 | UK government under fire over Carillion liquidation
- | 15 Jan, 2018 | Chinese CCTV maker HikVision also hit by US security fears
- | 15 Jan, 2018 | Prince Alwaleed Moved To Highest Security Saudi Prison After Refusing To Pay $6 Billion For Freedom: Report
11 September, 2017
Richard Branson’s private island ‘completely devastated’ by Hurricane Irma (PHOTOS, VIDEO)
Photo: © Matthias Balk / DPA / Global Look Press
Richard Branson shared videos and photos of his private island, Necker, which was severely damaged when Hurricane Irma hurtled through the Caribbean over the weekend.
The British billionaire took refuge in a wine cellar as the category five storm lashed the 30-hectare (74 acres) island.
All of the team who stayed on Necker and Moskito during the hurricane are safe and well. Our thoughts are with everyone affected by Hurricane #Irma in the BVI & Caribbean. I’ve never seen anything like it. Urge all in its path to seek strong shelter & stay safe. Necker & whole area has been completely devastated. @virginunite have donated to @britishredcross appeal to provide aid, @virginatlantic flight to help recovery. Urge everyone to donate & support any way they can. Thanks for all your well-wishes & support https://virg.in/oNP
“We felt the full force of the strongest hurricane ever in the Atlantic Ocean. We are very fortunate to have a strong cellar built into Necker’s Great House and were very lucky all of our teams who stayed on the Island during the storm are safe and well,” Branson said.
He added that many of the buildings and vegetation on Necker have been destroyed or badly damaged.
Much of the buildings and vegetation on Necker has been destroyed or badly damaged. But British Virgin Islands Hurricane #Irma story is not about Necker - it is about the tens of thousands of people who have lost their homes and their livelihoods. @virginunite is coordinating aid to local BVI families & communities affected - please donate to help http://www.virgin.com/unite/bvi-community-support-appeal
Photos on Virgin Limited Edition’s Instagram show how the same room looked before the monster storm hit.
The BBC reports that five people were killed when the storm ripped through the British Virgin Islands and the islands’ premier, Orlando Smith, has appealed to the UK for long-term support recovering from the storm.
"This story is about the tens of thousands of people who have lost their homes and their livelihoods,” Branson said after the storm.
“We have spent the past two days visiting team members who live on Virgin Gorda and as many people as possible, distributing aid, water and supplies. We have seen first-hand just how ferocious and unforgiving this storm was," he wrote.
Necker Island contains a ‘great house’ and eight smaller homes. People can rent out the entire island, for up to 34 guests, for $80,000 per night.
Individual villas can also be rented with rates starting at $30,000 per night for a week-long stay.