- | 19 Nov, 2017 | Europe’s Merkel, Macron, May Less Popular Than Trump
- | 19 Nov, 2017 | Trump: I should have left UCLA basketball players in jail
- | 19 Nov, 2017 | Bannon: McConnell ‘picking up his game’ because of our ‘insurgent movement’'
- | 19 Nov, 2017 | Britain to Brussels: I wish I knew how to quit EU
- | 19 Nov, 2017 | Report: Schools Must Teach Britain Is an ‘Immigration Nation’ to Fight Islamophobia
- | 19 Nov, 2017 | AG Sessions: ‘Proud’ to Defend Trump’s ‘Authority to Suspend Immigration’ that Is ‘Contrary to National Interest’
- | 19 Nov, 2017 | Juncker reaffirms support for Rajoy over Catalonia
- | 19 Nov, 2017 | ‘I Want This for George’
13 September, 2017
Schulz calls on Merkel to hold second TV duel
Photo: German Social Democrat and chancellor candidate Martin Schulz | Sean Gallup/Getty Images
SPD candidate says he wrote to chancellor asking for second head-to-head debate.
Martin Schulz wrote to Angela Merkel asking her to agree to a second head-to-head TV debate, the Social Democrat leader said Tuesday evening.
“Too many questions are still open,” Schulz said during a live question-and-answer show on the broadcaster ZDF.
But Merkel ultimately rejected Schulz’s request, Spiegel reported Wednesday.
“Everything has been said on this topic,” her CDU party said in a statement, adding that the chancellor enjoyed participating in the first debate.
“This format proved itself worthwhile and she leaves it at that.”
Schulz’s plea comes two weeks ahead of the September 24 election. The first and so far only TV debate between Merkel and Schulz was held on September 3, but Schulz didn’t perform well enough to close the gap on Merkel.
The Social Democrats (SPD) are well behind Merkel’s Christian Democrats (CDU) in the polls. An Insa institute survey out Tuesday put the SPD on 23.5 percent and the CDU on 36.5 percent.
On ZDF on Tuesday, Schulz answered questions from a studio audience.
As well as talking about health care, pensions and security, he also urged Hungary and Poland to take in more refugees.
Merkel will make an appearance on ZDF on Thursday evening.
Ich habe heute Angela Merkel einen Brief geschrieben und sie zu einem zweiten TV-Duell aufgefordert.— Martin Schulz (@MartinSchulz) September 12, 2017